Top 6 Best Surge Protector In 2022: Keep Your Gear Safe & Powered Up
When it comes to your electronic devices, the last thing that would probably excite you is a surge protector. These are not hardware pieces that grab headlines or turn your dusty old computer into a high-spec gaming PC. But they are a key component to any high-end electronic setup, keeping those electronic devices safe from the same energy that they operate on.
A surge protector does more than offer additional power outlets so you can connect all your devices in one place. It also limits the amount of voltage that can be passed to your devices, helping to ensure that they are not damaged by a sudden spike.
Some of these surge protectors will not only defend your devices from surges on your power cables but will also block voltage spikes on other wired connections, such as Ethernet or even coaxial cables.
So if you are going to buy expensive electronic devices and want to keep them safe, you will definitely want to choose a surge protector. And since they aren’t the most interesting product to buy, we’ve saved you the hassle of searching for the surge protectors that are worth your time.
Buying Guide For The Best Surge Protector
When considering whether to spend a few dollars or up to triple digits, remember: protectors at the higher end of this range help protect expensive electronic devices that would be costly to replace if damaged by a power surge. However, the price tag shouldn’t be the only guiding factor in the purchase decision. When shopping, look for these key criteria to determine which options are the best surge protectors.
- Power for All: 12 AC outlets and 3 USB ports with...
- Surge Protection: Total protection for your...
- High-Speed Charging: Delivers an optimized charge...
- Superior Safety: Thick rubber coating, integrated...
- What You Get: PowerPort Strip 12, welcome guide,...
- 【8 IN 1 Power Strip】 - This surge protector...
- 【Power Strip with USB】 - This surge protector...
- 【 5 Surge Protector Outlet 】- With 3...
- 【 Overload Protection】 - Intelligent circuitry...
- 【5Ft Upgrded Extension Cord & Wall Mountable】...
- IN THE BOX: 2-pack of 6 outlet surge protector...
- RELIABLE PROTECTION: 200 Joule 3 line basic surge...
- LED INDICATOR LIGHTS: Red "protected" LED...
- SPECIFICATIONS: AC 15A, 125V, 60Hz, 1875W
- 【Power Strip with 8AC outlets & 4 USB】- power...
- 【USB- C Fast & Smart Charge】- 4 USB ports...
- 【8AC Surge Protector Outlets】- The 3 level...
- 【Safety and Certificate】- ETL safety...
- 【What You Get】- Nuetsa Power strip, Maunal,...
- Power Strip with 12-outlets & 5 Fast USB Ports:...
- Fast USB Charging Ports：Build in smart charging...
- Wide Space Outlets: 6 regular Outlets & 6 widely...
- Reliable Surge Protector Circuit: POWRUI 3 level...
- Our After Sale Service: ETL Certified，All our...
- All the Power You Need: Features 12 AC outlets, 1...
- Fast Charge Your iPhone: Use the 20W USB-C port to...
- 8-Point Safety System: Combines surge protection,...
- Optimized Layout: Designed with extra space...
- What You Get: Anker 351 Power Strip, 2 mounting...
- 【12 IN 1 Power Strip with USB】- The 3-side...
- 【3 Side Design & Wide Space】- 3-side design...
- 【Overload Surge Protection】- The surge...
- 【Wall Mountable Extension Cord with Flat...
- 【Multi Safety Protection】- RoHS, ETL...
- ★Multi Function Power Strip:Power strip surge...
- ★Surge Protector Power Strip with usb:2 Special...
- ★12 AC Surge Protector Outlets:The 3 level...
- ★Safety and Certificate:ETL safety...
- ★What You Get:Alestor Power strip, Maunal,30-day...
- 【4+4 Outlets Power Strip with 4 USB Ports】-...
- 【Surge Protector Power Strip with 3 Side Design...
- 【Multi Safety Protection】- RoHS, FCC and ETL...
- 【6 Ft extension cord with Flat Plug and Cable...
- 【 Our After Sale Service 】- RoHS, FCC and ETL...
- 【9 IN 1 Function USB Wall Outlet】- Fit duplex...
- 【USB- C Fast & Smart Charge】- 4 USB ports...
- 【1800J Surge Protector Outlet】- 3...
- 【Super Safety】- ETL Certificates. This power...
- 【Wide Space】- With 3-sided Power Strip design,...
Look for both the UL mark (a symbol consisting of a circle inscribed with “UL”) and specific classification of “UL Listed,” or, better yet, “UL 1449 Listed” or “UL 1449 Revision 2”.
These marks indicate that the surge protector has undergone rigorous safety and performance testing by the Underwriters Laboratory and meets the minimum performance rating for surge protectors. Surge protectors without this mark or with only the “UL” or “UL tested” label offer insufficient surge protection capabilities.
This term refers to the voltage level at which the surge protectors begins to attenuate or reduce the surge; the lower the better. The best surge protectors feature a clamping voltage of no more than 400 volts.
This rating indicates how much energy the surge protectors can absorb before failing. Look for a joule rating of at least 360 joules. For expensive or sensitive electronic devices, such as computers, recording equipment, or hard drives, raise the bar and look for a joule rating of at least 1,000 joules.
Number Of Outputs
Buy a surge protectors with enough power outlets (including the plug and/or USB ports) to accommodate all the devices you plan to plug in; a minimum of five is recommended. (According to Pew Research, the typical median number of connected devices in a household is five or six, depending on the age of the household members.)
At a minimum, look for surge protectors with LED lights that indicate whether devices connected to the surge protectors are currently protected. Some products contain additional diagnostic LEDs to help diagnose power problems.
While not a must, a surge protector with energy-saving features, such as an automatic outlet shutoff, can reduce home energy consumption and overall energy bills.
Top 6 Best Surge Protector In 2022
1. BELKIN PIVOT-PLUG SURGE PROTECTOR WITH 12 OUTLET [GRAY]
Your electronic devices in the office are safer with the Belkin Swivel Plug Surge Protector. It has a 12-outlet power strip and a power rating of 4,320J capable of protecting your devices from a surge of a maximum of 6000v.
The Belkin Pivot-Plug has a cable clip to organize cables along with a swivel outlet that allows you some room to use larger AC adapters. To top it off, the Belkin Pivot-Plug has a lifetime warranty plus a $ 300,000 CE (Connected Equipment) warranty.
VOLTAGE: 125 Volts
MAX SURGE RATING: 4320 Joules
WEIGHT: 2.45 Pounds
- The Belkin Pivot-Plug is pocket-friendly
- Allows enough space for larger AC adapters
- Works excellently for office computers, printers, modems, and even home appliances
- Pivot design is one of the product’s strong points
- Internal fuse cannot be replaced if faulty due to overload
- Belkin tends to avoid honoring product guarantee
2. APC 11-PORT SURGE PROTECTOR WITH USB PORTS [BLACK]
The P11U2 is a high-quality surge protector from the top-notch power company Schneider Electric. The P11U2’s energy rating is 2,880J and it has 11 ports to protect most appliances from a sudden power surge. The long and sturdy power cord (6 feet) is able to free up more space for other appliances.
In addition to the lifetime warranty and the $ 250,000 CE (Connected Equipment) warranty, the P11U2 comes with two USB ports that provide full charge voltage for your tablets and phones.
VOLTAGE: 120 Volts
MAX SURGE RATING: 2880 Joules
WEIGHT: 2.23 Pounds
DIMENSIONS: 11.89 x 4.7 x 1.57 Inches
- Has a compact build that makes it portable
- Efficient surge protection with tight plugs
- Manufactured by a reputable electrical company
- Sockets are not deep enough
- Markets as a lightning surge protector, but heavy lightning strikes (rare) will damage your devices
3. AMAZONBASICS 8-PORT SURGE PROTECTOR [BLACK]
This AmazonBasics 8-Port Surge Protector is quite inexpensive considering its many features. With 8 ports and a total energy rating of 4,500J, AmazonBasics can protect all your electronic devices from power surges, including computers, televisions, and more.
It is equipped with an LED indicator that tells you if your devices are protected and a fireproof MOV for added security. It also has a power button for a resettable circuit breaker in case of overload and well-spaced ports for large blocks of AC adapters.
BRAND: Amazon Basics
STYLE: Power Strip
MAX SURGE RATING: 4500 Joules
WEIGHT: 1.42 Pounds
DIMENSIONS: 11.75 x 2.99 x 1.14 Inches
- Provides dependable protection against power surge
- An LED indicates when devices and wiring are protected and grounded respectively
- Can be hung on the wall to minimize space
- Well-spaced ports for large adaptors
- Portable design
- Green LED lights might be too intense
4. ECHOGEAR 8-PORT SURGE PROTECTOR [BLACK]
For a surge protector that you can place behind or between furniture or mount on a wall, this 8-port Echogear surge protector offers impeccable protection. Not only does it economize on available space, but it also provides effective surge protection and has an energy rating of 3,420 joules.
The 8 ports protect up to 8 of your most important devices. Your home is completely safe with the additional fireproof MOVs, plus the 8-port Echogear’s efficiency lasts for a long time.
To eliminate any fear of lurking, the manufacturers have tested this product for safety and it is UL certified. Additionally, there is a $ 25,000 CE warranty on this device.
MAX SURGE RATING: 3420 Joules
WEIGHT: 1.55 Pounds
DIMENSIONS: 13.8 x 5.9 x 1.9 Inches
- Slender design makes it able to be hidden away behind furniture or hung on the wall
- Possess all the necessary features of a reliable surge protector and more
- Offers long-lasting protection from surge protection
- Doesn’t have adequate space for larger adapters
5. POWER STRIP 6-PORT WITH 5 USB PORTS [BLACK]
This is one of the most universal surge protectors on the market. It has an energy rating of 1,700 joules. The Power Strip Surge Protector has 6 regular ports and up to 5 USB ports that produce a decent 21W current for your phones, tablets, and iPad.
It has a switch to save power when not in use and a 6-foot long angled flat power cord that helps you reach further. You can hide your surge protector behind furniture or mount it on the wall and still enjoy the efficiency of the Power Strip surge protector.
Power Strip markets this surge protector as “lightning proof” and capable of surge protection, saving you hundreds of dollars on the replacement of your home or office appliances.
MATERIAL: Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
WEIGHT: 0.8 Pounds
DIMENSIONS: 7.8 x 5.67 x 1.89 Inches
CORD LENGTH: 6 Feet/2M
- Portable and compact
- Has a durable build
- Well-spaced ports avoid clogging of adapters
- It has fewer ports for appliances (just 6), while there are 5 other USB ports
6. POWERTRIP 6 USB, 6-PORT SURGE PROTECTOR [WHITE]
You will hardly find a surge protector that will detect your device and provide adequate protection with its advanced integrated surge protection module.
This power trigger surge protector will automatically provide fast charge for your devices after detection.
You can also protect six other appliances from electrical fluctuations with the six well-placed outlets. For durability, the material of this device is fireproof and offers superior protection for all plugged-in devices.
VOLTAGE: 110 Volts
MAX SURGE RATING: 1650 Joules
WEIGHT: 1.05 Pounds
DIMENSIONS: 10.9 x 6.4 x 2 Inches
- Made of fire-proof material and built to last
- The sleek design makes it easy to hide surge protector in-between furniture and keep messy cords organized
- Can provide fast charging for as much as six smart devices at a time
- Multiple certifications mean the product quality is top-notch
- On/off switch plus low heat efficiency
- Cannot be hung on a wall
FAQS: Top 6 Best Surge Protector In 2022
Benefits Of An Surge Protector
Although they often go unnoticed, electrical surges can occur many times a day in the average home. Every power surge has the potential to damage the circuits of plugged-in devices and cause them to stop working, damage circuits in other parts of the home, or even start fires.
Plus, surge protectors are relatively affordable – a $ 15 to $ 100 investment for an average surge protector can help avoid hundreds, or even thousands, in device repair or replacement costs. Since many can function as multiple plugs, one product can supply reliable power.
While reducing surges, they also allow plugged-in devices to remain operational, resulting in fewer interruptions. Surge protectors:
- Increase the useful life of devices and home security.
- They are quite affordable, multi-purpose, and save on long-term device repair or replacement costs.
- Avoid interruptions in the daily use of electronics.
Do you want to protect electrical appliances from power surges?
The surge protection potential of consumer devices is measured in joules, which is a unit equivalent to one watt applied to an electrical system for one second. A surge protector with a higher joule rating can absorb more energy before failing, resulting in more robust and comprehensive surge protection for critical equipment.
If you plan to protect expensive or sensitive high voltage electronic equipment such as computers, air conditioners, stereos, or power tools, it is imperative to opt for a heavy-duty surge protector with a joule rating of 3,000 or more. When shopping for something sturdy, opt for a drive with a metal chassis rather than a traditional plastic casing for added durability.
A rugged housing will allow the surge protector to function properly in demanding environments, such as workshops and studios, without cracking or damaging and endangering your equipment in the process. Many heavy-duty power strips also meet industrial safety standards and provide insurance for all connected equipment up to specified amounts, making them an ideal choice for commercial and professional use.
What kind of space do you have for a surge protector?
While it’s not particularly difficult to find a surge protector that mimics a standard power strip in size and shape, they aren’t exactly the most compact devices out there.
For homes, offices, and workspaces that have little extra headroom, a compact surge protector can provide all the equipment protection you’ve come to expect in a much smaller than average form factor. The best space-saving surge protectors typically use an outlet extension that allows them to blend into the wall and fit comfortably behind furniture.
Users who work in garages and offices, or who need surge protection in limited workspaces such as kitchen counters, can use this saved space for the same appliances and tools they seek to protect without adding additional bulk or the possibility of tangled cables.
Still, minimizing the design costs less in joules, so be sure to choose a space-saving surge protector that offers maximum protection for its size to ensure it lives up to your needs.
Surge protection does not come standard on most buildings and power systems, so making sure your electronic devices are safe from the inevitable power surges and blackouts with the best surge protector for your needs is crucial.
Home users should turn to a smart surge protector for full control over their electronic ecosystem or a surge protector with USB ports for fast charging and protection of their irreplaceable devices, while business users who need robust protection should turn to it. to a heavy-duty surge protector to keep your bases covered.
Whether you’re powering a vacuum cleaner or a smartphone, all electronic equipment users large and small should wear a surge protector. Then you can be sure that your devices will be safe and sound the next time there is a power outage or power surge.
Heavy Duty Surge Protector
Best Surge Protector For Gaming Pc
Apc Surge Protector
Best Surge Protector 2022
Belkin Surge Protector
Best Surge Protector Cnet
Best Surge Protector For Home Theater
Best Surge Protector Reddit